Statement from the Leader of Northamptonshire County Council Labour Group of Councillors

By Mick Scrimshaw on February 6, 2018

Take our "5 Minute Survey"

Tell us what you think

The issuing of a Section 114 notice clearly shows that the current Conservative administration is not fit to govern this county of ours. We have a failed Conservative administration and a Government that does not seem to care about the effect their decisions are having on our communities. 70% of our financial problems is down to the Government austerity cuts, but the NCC Cabinet have to take responsibility for the other 30% which is down to mismanagement and costly decisions.

This has not happened overnight, the Labour Group has been warning about our poor financial state for the last 5 years and moved a vote of no confidence in the cabinet only 3 months ago. Today we are told that this current years budget is looking at an overspend of £21.1 million.

We have yet to see the results of the Government Inspectors report, but it is clear that we cannot go on as we are. The Cabinet should resign and let those with the ability take over. In doing so the primary task should be to make sure we are able to carry out our statutory and safeguarding responsibilities towards children and vulnerable adults and then to put together a sustainable financial plan to bring about financial stability for our County.

In contrast to the County, Labour has shown that we can work in partnership on a win-win basis and Corby Borough Council is an excellent example of this, building resilliance and serving its community.

Mick Scrimshaw is the Leader of the Labour Group at Kettering Borough Council, the Shadow Cabinet Member for Finance at Northamptonshire County Council. He has a public record of standing up for Kettering as a County Councillor for the Northall division in Kettering, Northants and since May 2015, a Borough Councillor for the William Knibb ward. He is a keen cyclist and also runs a family business with his wife.

Related Posts

Click to access the login or register cheese crossmenuarrow-downarrow-right