Some January/February 2016 mini-updates from Northfield councillor Jonathan West!
- I have been busy contacting and helping residents to assist them with their issues. Making use of contact cards put through letterboxes. Issues raised with me have included planning and housing enquiries.
- A resident wrote to me congratulating the service received concerning fly tipping of a mattress as it was so promptly sorted by the council.
- A resident of Windsor Gardens recently had a problem with the entry door to their flat and l ensured that the council came out promptly to fix this and ensure their security.
- I am keen to support initiatives to help people in the ward including supporting the Inspiring Neighbourhoods Project Little Ambassadors Project at Saint Andrews School which is helping children improve the area including facilities at Grafton Street Park. This scheme was presented to a Labour Group Meeting and it was explained how effective it has been around the county supported by labour councillors. I am arranging a donation of £200. I recently attended the relaunch of the Keystone Centre on Rockingham Road Kettering in the ward and am currently working with them to provide more equipment to help the vital services they provide for our young people. This equipment includes furnishing counselling rooms to enable young people feel comfortable in those sessions. I am arranging for a £400 donation. I have asked that all ward initiative monies spent by all Kettering councillors be published on the council website for transparency.
- Other labour councillors and myself have been vocal in our opposition to banning skateboarding from the town centre as part of the PSPO proposals also opposing the reduction in Council Tax support which mostly affects disabled and less well off of wards such as Northfield.
- The labour councillors and I are looking to ensure that the Kettering youth council is more relevant and is consulted on issues such as the skateboarding.